Friday, April 07, 2006

This is Hard

I started crying at my desk at work today. I've been monitoring my glucose levels for 4 days now and I'm stressed. I've been doing OK with only 2 readings out of 15 that were above the recommended blood sugar threshold. I talked to the dietician yesterday about how we could fix the higher readings and I felt OK with the changes to my meal plan.

Then today at lunch we ate out at a Vietnamese restaurant. My usual order is a soft noodle bowl with marinated, charbroiled pork and shrimp as well as a couple of egg rolls. This dish is relatively healthy with lettuce, carrots and bamboo shoots. I was careful not to eat very much vermicelli too. I even took a 20 minute walk around the company campus. Yet my reading was 14 above the threshold, my highest yet! I was so crushed. And I was in the middle of a conference call so I had to do the testing at my desk. I felt so bad about it, especially since my readings after lunch have been good up to now.

All the stress got to me - watching what I was eating, counting carbs, making sure I was testing at the right times, and pricking my fingers...sometimes I have to try 3 or 4 different settings on the little lancet pen before I draw enough blood - ouch! My fingers don't want to give up any blood. I started to cry while I was IM'ing Karl about it.

It's so frustrating. I feel like I have no control. The dietician says it's not my fault but as my pregnancy progresses it will become even harder to ensure I stay below the thresholds because of surging hormones. Aaaarrgh!

I can't imagine being a Type I or Type II diabetic and having to deal with this all the time. It is draining to constantly worry about what you're eating and when. I try to give myself pep talks and say it's for the good of the baby and of me later in life. But I'm scared to eat out now! Heck, I'm scared to eat....

5 Comments:

Blogger Knitting Therapy said...

I also had gestational diabetes. You can do this, really. Once you figure out which foolds give you the surges, you will start feeling better. When you are eating out, try the most simple dishes without auces. The sauces can have hidden sugars.

Both my babies weighed right around 7 lbs and were healthy.

Friday, April 07, 2006  
Blogger Shannon said...

I'm so sorry this is stressing you out. Pregnancy is hard enough without additional complications. I hope you can figure this out.

Friday, April 07, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Damn Lynette, I'm so sorry you have to go through that. It really sucks. Hang in there!

Even though I only know you a little bit, I know you are someone who doesn't give up, and who can master anything. You can do it.

Friday, April 07, 2006  
Blogger Birdsong said...

Oh shoot! I am so sorry to hear that you have to go through this, but glad that the due date is getting closer and closer. Peggy is right, you can make it! Her advice about watching out for hidden sugars is right on and you can eat lots of veggies (try steamed with balsamic vinegar splashed on as it gives a sauce taste without the high sugar or sodium). I will be thinking about you.

Sunday, April 09, 2006  
Blogger Shrink to Fit said...

I can't even imagine how frustrated you must be. I will keep you & baby in my prayers. You are a smart women and I know you will beat this bump in the road.

Thursday, April 13, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home