Saturday, March 25, 2006

Gestational Diabetes

Yep. I have it.

After fasting for 12 hours and then drinking 100g of pure sugar, I had my blood drawn 4 times in 3 hours. When the doctor's assistant called me the next day I knew it was bad news. They never call you when it's good news.

Next week I meet with a nutritionist to discuss a new diet and exercise plan. How ironic - all my life I thought I was fit and followed a relatively healthy lifestyle. When I'm at the grocery store I always compare what's in my shopping basket with others and my cart is inevitably sickeningly healthy with fruits, vegetables, juice, wheat bread. I guess my body is having a hard time processing even the relatively lower amounts of sugar I consume.

Well, this will be inconvenient for the next 2 and a half months but I can do it. The baby is going to experience a little South Beach Diet the easy way.

4 Comments:

Blogger Ruth said...

*hugs*

Saturday, March 25, 2006  
Blogger Shannon said...

GD is such a strange diagnosis. It's a pretty unreliable test - your blood sugar actually goes up the further along you are. I actually think people who consume less sugar on a regular basis are more likely to have a problem because their body isn't used to the sugar in the test.

It doesn't hurt to keep an eye on your diet, but take the diagnosis with a grain of salt.

Saturday, March 25, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh no! =(
You are right, though -- this is inconvenient, but you can do it. I hope these last months fly by!

Saturday, March 25, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh Boo. Sorry to hear that! If anyone can get through it with flying colors you can. Hang in there!

Saturday, March 25, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home