Monday, February 06, 2006

23 Weeks 3 Days

Maternity fashion is an oxymoron. There is no such thing. All a pregnant woman wants is something that fits, doesn't make her look like a hippo and is priced reasonably. Is that too much to ask? Apparently, yes.

For the first 3 or 4 months I was able to wear my regular low rise jeans and pants, albeit with the top button undone using the handy dandy rubber band trick. For shirts and other tops, I just wore my slightly oversized tops. I was lucky that most of my shirts were kind of loose on me to begin with so there was some room to grow. Good thing because the bigger boobs took up the extra space in a single breath. Soon into the second trimester, though, I was shopping in the maternity sections. I was still too small for most clothes but the jeans at Old Navy were just about perfect and I found a few super comfy knit tops on sale at Babystyle.

Having just finished my 22nd week, I am now in this in-between stage where I'm showing but not overly so, such that I look chubby but not full blown pregnant. I tried on a few pants at J.Jill yesterday. When I asked the sales lady about trying a few sizes larger to "accomodate this" and patted my belly, she looked down and said, "Oh, I didn't even notice." What does that mean? That I just simply looked fat? Nothing fit anyway so I didn't buy anything but I was depressed by what I saw in the really horrible 3-way mirror in the dressing room...thunder thighs. Not exactly the Mary Lou Retton hard-as-a-rock thighs either.

I know, I know. My body is just making sure it can support the wide load but waaaahhhh. Angelina Jolie doesn't look like this! I curse her.

The bigger one gets, the worse the fashion becomes. Remember Juliet's nurse in Romeo and Juliet? Romeo makes fun of her, "Here's goodly gear" with Mercurtio adding, "The sail, the sail!" That's what most maternity tops look like - empire waists that then bloom like upside flowers. Fortunately, the latest trend in maternity wear is very close-fitting, shaped tops but they are not cheap to come by. I was so frustrated by the cheap stuff that I dropped a load of cash on a precious few designer fashions while I was in Arizona. I have since been scouring eBay for less expensive but used clothes by Japanese Weekend, 2 Chicks and Majamas. Had I known to do this in the first place I would've saved a lot of money.

At 23 weeks and 3 days, my bump is becoming more bulbous. I'm starting to feel encumbered. It's more difficult to lean over and tie my shoes. And if I weren't so sleepy, I would appreciate the comedy of literally pushing myself up and out of bed for the middle-of-the-night pit stop. However, all of it is worth it - the baby is getting bigger, kicks furiously and has sleep/wake patterns now. I was at the doctor's last week and heard her strong hearbeat. It was very reassuring. I'm so surprised to hear myself say that but really, it's true.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Awww what a cute bump. I think some people try not to notice, no one wants to be accused at staring at someone.

I'm sure a lot depends on what your wearing too, in that, you look very pregnant, there's no doubt about it, that's a pregnant woman, not a chubby one.

Tuesday, February 07, 2006  
Blogger Ruth said...

ooh lynette - with her showing a bit, you look great!! =)

Tuesday, February 07, 2006  
Blogger caitlyn said...

You still look wonderful, Lynette!!

Wednesday, February 08, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home