Saturday, February 18, 2006

Itchy and Scratchy

Not the most comfortable week of pregnancy I've had but hopefully this will be the worst of it. My skin is one of those sensitve types and prone to something lovely called pressure urticaria. Urticaria is just a fancy word for hives. Pressure urticaria is when itchy hives are caused by tight clothing or jewelry.

Pregnancy makes this condition worse. This past week my skin just exploded with hives. I would start out relatively calm in the morning but by the end of the day I was frantic and anxious with itch all over my body. The only relief was to take Benadryl, which I was loathe to do because it seemed to affect the baby (made her sleepy I think). The doctor said it was OK but I tried to take only one pill at a time to lessen the drowsy effect.

Other than that, things have been OK.

On Valentine's Day, Karl surprised me with something so sweet. I told him not to buy me anything because he's been working hard as it is redecorating the bedrooms. However, he presented me with the cutest, Charlie-Brownest Japanese Maple sapling I have ever seen. And he got all sentimental on me by saying we would plant it in honor of the baby so that they could grow up together. Awwwww.

4 Comments:

Blogger caitlyn said...

I'm sorry to hear about the hives. I hope they go away soon! Karl's gift was really sweet. =)

Saturday, February 18, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ok, that story made me teary.

Have you tried Aveno Oatmeal Baths? I use it for my Ezecema and it works wonders.

Feel better soon!

Saturday, February 18, 2006  
Blogger Ruth said...

what a sweet gift!! and sorry to hear about the hives =(

Saturday, February 18, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

awww that is so sweet, the tree/baby thing. No you'll just have to take a yearly picture each year of your daughter and the tree.

Tuesday, February 21, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home