Sunday, February 26, 2006

Pregnancy Can Be Boring

Yep, it's true. Sometimes it's just ho hum.

The hives have gone away, thank goodness. We determined through unscientific means that the hives must've been caused by a new soap we were trying out. Ironically the soap is "Pure and Natural".

I've been quite fortunate so far that the worst of the pregnancy side effects have been relatively minor. Sometimes I feel so dang normal that I forget I'm carrying around a belly the size of a basketball.

So let's talk about the more practical things about this condition - pregnancy leave. The Company I Work For (TCIWF) is more generous than most American companies regarding pregnancy leave. As an engineering company it is male-dominated; therefore the management takes great lengths to ensure that they hire and retain women.

Pregnancy leave is a special medical leave of absence where my current job is protected and I am compensated for the amount of time my doctor recommends that I need to be out. Compensation in the form of short term disability pay and the company's own salary coordination pay means that I receive around 85% of my normal salary for up to 13 weeks.

Then, if I do not have a medical reaon to be out any longer, I can still take up to 12 weeks of "Bonding Leave". Because I live in California, I am also eligible for 6 weeks of "Paid Family Leave" concurrent with the first 6 weeks of bonding leave. I can also add vacation to this. I am still guaranteed a job at work although my current job is guaranteed only during the pregnancy leave portion.

What does this mean exactly? Well, I'm planning to stay home for maternity and bonding leave for approximately 20 weeks. I won't know for sure which combination of leaves I will be using until I give birth but 20 weeks total is my goal. I will still be paid for 75% of that time in some form or another. And I will still have a job when I return to work. Isn't that amazing?

My point of talking about pregnancy leave is this - know all your options because they could be better than you think. Be as open and frank with your manager as you can. The better the communication is, the more likely you will have a stress-free leave and everyone will be prepared. Do not underestimate how much time you will need. Many working moms-to-be think they will want to return to work asap. Unless you have a super-terrific job though, chances are good that you will be hesitant to come back right away. Physically you may be fine. Emotionally and psychologically, things could be different.

In addition to all the other things happening next month for me and Karl, we will also begin our childbirth classes. These run for about 6 weeks for a couple of hours per week. I should have plenty to talk about then!

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow that's amazing, I know some in my area that were fortunate enough to get 6 weeks off, and they weren't even paid. Fortunately if I ever got pregnant I think I'd get about 6 weeks paid, if not more, my boss is pretty good about stuff like that.

Monday, February 27, 2006  
Blogger Shrink to Fit said...

Wow, what a blessing! To get paid and get to stay home with baby! That is just wonderful.

Thursday, March 02, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home