Wednesday, April 26, 2006

Celebrity Babies and Other Stuff

If Brangelina dare to have their baby on the day I give birth, they've got another thing comin'! Little Karalyn deserves a bit of fanfare of her own...at least she won't have the horrible last name of "Jolie-Pitt". Yucko. I didn't realize that the spring of 2006 would be studded with celebrity babies. Aside from my own, there's still Brangelina's baby, Gwen Stefani's kid, Mira Sorvino's bambino, Rachel Weisz's contribution and Mariska Hargitay's child. Da Dum. It's a trend. I hate being trendy.

Last you heard from me, I was whining about drawing blood from my fingers multiple times a day. That has not changed, i.e., I am still whining. My glucose numbers have been good so far, though, and I am a little more relaxed about the process if not the pricking itself. So enough about that.

Latest news. Well, I have carpel tunnel too. This is no biggie because it just happens to a lot of pregnant women. What is surprising is how little talk there is about it. The edema I'm experiencing is pinching the nerves in the carpel tunnel tube. It presents itself as tingly numb fingertips and very stiff fingers overnight. It's like having arthritis. Really weird...I wake up and my fingers are so stiff I can hardly bend them. Only my thumbs seem operational which makes grabbing toilet paper rather comical.

Latest, latest news. My obgyn nazi doc suddenly turned solicitous and said, "How do you feel about taking maternity leave now?" This was, like, last week. She took a look at my swollen, nonexistent ankles and noticed that my blood pressure has crept up to concerning levels. Basically I have pre- preeclampsia. Pregnancy-induced hypertension. (nothing surprises me anymore) I am not exhibiting full blown symptoms but the doc decided to take precautions. "I want you to lie on your left side a couple of hours in the morning and a couple of hours in the afternoon." Weeellll, how do I this at work? I can't.

I am currently WFH (working from home) in an attempt to keep my legs elevated and prevent more swelling. Plus there's just generally less stress at home. I'm doing this at least this week and next week. Then I might go on leave as early as May 8th. Oh, I'm looking forward to it. At my last appointment my numbers were good - no weight gain, no blood pressure increase, no protein in the urine sample. I did, however, have to submit to another round of blood tests. I only have so much blood, ya know. The WFH is an arrangement where I can still transition the last of my work to my coworkers who are doing me a huge favor while I'm on leave.

audrey
Could there be any more not-so-good news?? No! I'm happy to say that I had a wonderfully fun baby shower last Saturday hosted by some really sweet and thoughtful friends. My future sister-in-law, Audrey, came up from San Francisco to be with me. She is super! They say the camera adds 10 lbs and it really shows up in my face in this photo. Ick.

kristy
One of the shower activities was to design onesies and I would pick the winning design. Kristy created a simple but elegant one with a flower on the front which is the one I selected. Kristy is the friend who would like the handknitted baby blanket - I am still determined to finish it next weekend.

Life goes on...and on...but the baby will be here soon. There's still so much to do. All the gifts from the shower are in the dining room and the baby's room is, well, a bit unorganized. My yarn is still housed there. I told Cyndi at lunch that if anyone ese asks me what my nursery theme is, I would tell them "yarn". The baby's room is decorated in yarn and a few sheep ornaments!

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

It looks like you had a good time at the shower! I hope that WFH will help.

Wednesday, April 26, 2006  
Blogger Ruth said...

great to hear you had such a fun time at your shower. and btw, in my opinion, you look great in the pictures. =)

Wednesday, April 26, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You look beautiful, not swollen!

I talked to a guy the other day, who recovered from a really bad accident. He fell off a two story building, broke his femur in two places, his heel and wrist were shattered. He's mostly recovered now, with plenty of metal and pins in all sorts of places.

At the end of the story, he said as a result of his wrist injury he has carpel tunnel which he described as "THE worst pain!" After going through all that, the worst thing is the carpel tunnel. That says somehting.

Thursday, April 27, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a great idea for the baby shower, decorating onsies! I'll have to remember that.

It won't be long now will it and that sweet little girl will enter! I hope the rest of her time inside you is uneventful to you and her.

Thursday, April 27, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home